as of May 22, 2013
Windham Public Library Director
The Town of Windham is seeking a dynamic leader to continue to transform the Library facilities/culture and to champion the evolving and increasingly important role of the Library.
The Windham Public Library, located in Windham, Maine, serves a community of 17,000 people and has a staff of 12 full, part-time and substitute part-time employees. The annual budget is $320,000; circulation 113,000; and collection: 47,000 items. The Windham Public Library Director reports directly to the Town Manager, and works closely with a town council-appointed board of trustees.
The Library Director is responsible for management of the Library and providing for the general administrative direction of its personnel and activities. This is a department head level position providing planning, organization, and implementation of library programs and policy, and supervising staff and volunteers. The Library Director is appointed by and operates under the general guidance and direct supervision of the Town Manager to ensure compliance with the Town's established policies and procedures.
• Develop and administer departmental budget, and manage all departmental resources.
• Review and develop department policy as needed.
• Provide direct and indirect supervision for all department employees and volunteers; train, schedule, and evaluate staff.
• Provide facility and equipment management; report problems or issues, assess building and grounds needs, and safety concerns.
• Coordinate programs with Board of Trustees, Town Manager and staff.
• Attend professional meetings and participate in activities relevant to library services; represents library to public and other organizations.
• Prepare all statistics and reports for Trustees, Town, and State.
• Prepare press releases, publicity and correspondence; promote library and its services and encourage superior customer service.
• Oversee collection development; review and select books, and other materials: print and non-print.
• Acknowledge gifts of money or service.
• Plan special events, perform circulation duties, assist patrons with reference, advisory and computer services.
• Interact and coordinate with other Department Heads, employees, the Town Manager, Library Board of Trustees, elected officials, other local, and state agencies, other parties, and the general public for overall management effectiveness with respect to other programs and policies of the Town of Windham.
Knowledge of current library standards, practices and procedures, ability to exercise sound judgment in the process of determining policies and procedures; demonstrated administrative, budgetary, personnel, and project management skills; excellent oral and written communications skills; and the ability to develop and maintain working relationships with employees, other Department Heads, public officials, the Library Board of Trustees, volunteers, and the general public.
Appointees to the position of Library Director must possess the following qualifications:
- Master's degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited college or university;
- A minimum of five (5) years' experience working in a library, preferably with supervisory experience;
- Working knowledge of library practices and procedures; or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
Assistant Town Manager/HR Director
8 School Road
Windham, ME 04062
Please apply by Email, Mail or Fax